THE VILLAGE OF KARDAMYLA IN CHIOS
village of Kardamyla is situated at the northeastern edge of
Chios. The route from the city of Chios to Kardamyla takes 25
minutes going past the villages of Vrondados, Pantoukios and
Lagada. Kardamyla comes into view at the end of the route, since
the village is built in the plain of Kardamyla, which is enclosed
by mountains. However, its location by the sea matches harmoniously
with the surrounding mountainous scenery, offering a magnificent
view to the visitor.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION ABOUT KARDAMYLA
signs of the passing cultures have been scattered all around
the area of Kardamyla since the period of Pelasgoi, the Persian
Wars, the Roman and the Byzantine Era. This is indicated by
the walls and the processed stones, as well as by the dozens
of Archaic and Greek names (place-names). The name 'Kardamyli',
which was turned into 'Kardamyla' in modern times, is Greek
without having a Greek origin. It probably comes from the
word 'Kardamo', a vegetable which used to be abundant in the
in the area there were important historical towns, such as
'Kila', 'Delphini', 'Parvada' and the surrounding villages,
all of which together comprise the Kardamyla of today. It
is not historically known, when this happened. According to
tradition, the inhabitants of the towns and the villages gradually
gathered for fear of the pirates in the fortified position,
where Kardamyla are situated today, abandoning their towns
and villages. In the area, Zeus of Pelineon was worshipped
on Mount Pelineon, at the highest point of Chios. It is unknown,
when it was replaced by the worship of the prophet Ilias,
that is the God of Sun.
The great historian Thucydides also refers to the area as
'Kardamyli', the town in which Athenians landed in 411 BC.
In the Hellenistic and the Roman Era, the town played an important
role because of its location.
In the Middle Ages, it was destroyed by pirates, resulting
to the construction of castles and observation towers by the
inhabitants in the area. During the Massacre of Chios in 1822,
Kardamyla was also destroyed. It was liberated in 1912 like
the rest of the island.
Today Kardamyla is divided into three settlements, 'Kardamyla'
(or 'Ano Kardamyla') built at the foot of the Mountain 'Gria',
its seaport 'Marmaro' and its extension, the picturesque neighbourhood
churches of Kardamyla are well-known; the church 'Pera Panaghia'
with the icons of the previous century, 'Aghios Nicholas Prinaritis'
built in the 13th century with its wall paintings of the 16th
century, 'Aghios Loukas' with its wonderful wooden iconostasis,
the church of 'Aghias Ipapadis' of 1450 with its representative
pebbly yard and 'Aghios Georgios' with the excellent church-tower
and the wall paintings of the 16th century. In the cultural
center of Kardamyla, built on the ruins of the central tower
of the castle in 1964, literary and artistic events are often
held. On the ground floor, there is a library- study, containing
almost 2000 volumes of important and rare books, as well as
a religious- folklore museum. In the plain of Kardamyla there
are dozens of scattered wells , which were used for the cultivation
of citrus trees. On the hills surrounding Kardamyla, one can
see the remains of wine-presses, signs of the former rich production
of wine in the area.
At the harbor of Kardamyla, 'Marmaro', visitors have the opportunity to see the church of 'Aghios Nikolaos' with its marble iconostasis, the monument of 'The Missing Sailor' on the quay-road, created by the great sculptor Apartis ( photo on the left), the old custom house (a building since the period of Turkish domination), the mansion 'Vassilakis' with its characteristic neoclassical architecture, as well as the windmills scattered along the beach.
On the south of Kardamyla, the bay of Delphini is located, with the islet of 'Tavros at its entrance. A current with abundant clear water flows through the valley of 'Delphini' emptying into the sea. Nowadays, the bay can be partly visited, since there are military facilities in the area. In ancient times, it was geographically important due to its terrain. On the contrary, the mountainous area of 'Kila' near the village of 'Pityos' is at an altitude of 500m , offering a magnificent view of the Island of 'Oinousses' and the Asia Minor Coast. On top of the hill , the ruins of 'The Tower of Kila' are preserved as signs of the prosperity of the area during The Middle Ages.
Near Kardamyla, the beach 'Vlichada' exists in a valley full of olive trees and pine trees. As you go northwards, you come across 'Gialiskari' with its picturesque creek.
The valley of 'Nagos" with its dense vegetation, its tall plane-trees and its fantastic beach is situated five kilometres to the north of Kardamyla.Then, the beach 'Giosonas' is surrounded by wild and impressive mountains with sides full of pine-trees and orchards. Finally, 'Ambelos', a small beach with big colourful pebbles is accessible from the main road through a path.
'Spilia Studios'-Traditional Houses-Spilia-Kardamyla-Post Code
Tel: (+ 30)- 22720-22933, 22823- fax: (+30)-22720-22823, mobile:
|Created & Hosted by: